Sunday, August 10, 2014

Love is the Best, but that Hope.....

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 1 Corinthians, 13:4-7

Today, I am sitting at my friend's house while she sleeps. She was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma last month, but has yet to start treatment, which will hopefully start Wednesday. MM is usually known to hit men who are African American and 65 years of age. My friend is 43 and Caucasian. She is also Owen's Godmother. I know firsthand about cancer, but this is a whole new ballgame. Nothing can be removed because it runs through the blood.

When this journey began last month, my household responded with grief and anger. Owen, being shot with testosterone once a week, was the angry one. Mine is grief, but having the knowledge that my friend is a fighter, there is plenty of hope. She is surrounded by supporters to the nth degree, and it is pretty amazing to watch.

What I have seen, though, in Owen, is a protection toward his Godsisters. There is nothing he cares about more. It's almost a God complex, yet at the same time, he's taking the steps to get the help he needs for his issues, and they are deep. There are a lot of Whys, but again, there is that hope.

I think we see hope in so many things, when it comes to people. Owen will continue watching his Godmother have the attitude that she sustains in being a wife and mother who wants to live for her family. He also knows there is a possibility she will lose the fight. But just like his battles, he will see that people get stronger through it. I know that he is 21, and he's not really as big of a responsibility as before for me, but I am still his mom, and I hurt when I see him struggle with this issue, especially when it involves a little girl who he fears may be motherless sooner than later. But hope, which is something he was supported with throughout his continuing journey, should never be absent. His faith, though shaky, I know is there through his work in staying as positive as possible, and being the loving big brother he is to his "sisters".

Continuing with my music love, this is a song I think of a lot in all my struggles.
Song for this entry: OCEANS

No comments:

Post a Comment